Leggo Poker Every Tool You Need To Win
Go Back   LeggoPoker > World Series Of Poker > Fitness & Nutrition
Old 11-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Soldier

Default Somewhat of a nutrition/fitness expert

If you have any questions about nutrition and fitness I will keep this post open and answer any questions that you may have. How can I consider myself an expert, I have a Bachelors degree in Exercise science and am currently pursuing my masters in Exercise Physiology where my research interests are in health lifestyles. I also have my NSCA-CSCS certification which is considered the gold standard for certifications and is the only one which requires a college degree. I will be willing to read anything you want to ask. So fire away.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiSpurl this Post!Google Bookmark this Post!
Old 11-04-2008, 04:00 PM
bangin titties

Send a message via Skype™ to garbageman18
Default Re: Somewhat of a nutrition/fitness expert

our coach has been beating the sht out of us with workouts and conditioning. What can I take other then L-Glutamine, Vitamin C, Calcium for recovery?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiSpurl this Post!Google Bookmark this Post!
Old 11-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Soldier

L-Glutamine actually has never been proven to work for muscle generation. If you are very sore post workout it is due to a condition called DOMS, delayed onset muscle soreness, which unfortunately has no real cure. What I would suggest is post exercise a good balance of both Protein and carbohydrate within 30min after exercise is over even if it is only like 300 kcal (Calories), then a larger meal later with more substance. What this early meal will help with is instant recovery and your body is not depleted. A good multivitamin will help aid some recovery, but there is no real substitute for good nutrition. Supplements generally are for people who cannot get the proper amount of nutrients in there normal diet. Whey Protein also would be a good way to aid recovery use it in a shake or something, whey is the best protein supplement by far.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:17 AM
bangin titties

Send a message via Skype™ to garbageman18

thx man
Old 11-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Soldier

Anytime
Old 11-06-2008, 02:21 AM
Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1123 View Post
L-Glutamine actually has never been proven to work for muscle generation.
Thank god...I was beginning to think I was the only one who didn't buy into this crap. +1 to the protein suggestion. I've also been using BCAA's during training to reduce the amount of muscle catabolism that occurs. Check out Xtend by Scivation, the grape and watermelon flavors are really solid. I've tried megadosing it(30-40g/day) and it has no real additive effect, so just follow the directions on the tub of powder and you'll be straight.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Soldier

Megadosing any supplement usually has no additive effect usually the specific doses are related to the amount certain skeletal muscles cells can be saturated with over a specific time period. I never really got into the whole body building thing so ill take your word for Xtend working, most products like that an NO explode tend to see muscle mass gains but no real long term benefits once you stop taking them but i have heard that they tend to reduce the time it takes for muscles to heal therefor if body building is your thing it would be a good product.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:08 AM
Soldier

Where are you at school and what are you planning on doing with your master's degree? I have friends that are interested in pursuing a similar path and it would be neat to hear your perspective on the opportunities you see for someone with your education.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Soldier

Well I am planning to get my PhD and become a college prof. do research and whatnot, it will be nice cause it will also once i am done with school be able to play more poker, right now I have not the time nor the roll to be able to play anything but micro micro which I hate doing due to the quality of play. What are your friends planning on doing or what are there interest in the field (ie. health, nutrition, rehab, athletics) that where thy could start and branch out from there. Let me know I can help guide them. Getting an advanced degree is almost 100% necessary for any health related field not necessarily a PhD but something else.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Soldier

Well...my friends have pretty minimal thought invested in the whole thing. They just decided that because they like lifting weights, they should pursue a career related to lifting weights. I think one is in the kinesiology/exercise science program at ASU and the others are getting personal training certs right now.